Call To Get In Touch With A Skilled Lawyer

Phone : 618-207-4257

Call To Get In Touch With A Strong Lawyer

PLEASE NOTE: Our office remains open and available to serve you during the COVID-19 crisis. We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person or via telephone. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Working Hard For You

Aggressive Criminal Defense And Family Law Representation

Man may owe nearly $50,000 in child support — from 2 decades ago

On Behalf of | May 5, 2014 | Firm News

Many Illinois parents are responsible for making child support payments that contribute to the care of their children. The amount is determined by many factors, such as the income of both parents or the specific custody arrangement between both parties. When a parent falls behind in his or her payments, the law provides a number of options for collecting. Moreover, past due amounts are typically subject to statutory interest. Such is the case for an out-of-state man who is facing a large bill for unpaid child support that includes a significant amount of interest that he claims he does not owe.

The initial determination for child support was made when the man was divorced over a quarter-century ago. Several years later, he was apparently awarded full custody of his daughter. He owed child support at the time, and according to him, he was told by authorities that he would not have to pay. More years passed, and the man was notified that he still had overdue payments on several occasions. He claims that each time he made an official inquiry, the matter was dropped and any wage garnishment was halted.

This all culminated in the man recently receiving notification that he owed child support with interest that totaled just over $48,000. He currently makes weekly payments but worries that he will never be able to pay the full amount. He asserts that he is willing to pay the original amount supposedly overdue, which was only $3,000.

Those here in Illinois who have questions about their child support payments may want to seek appropriate assistance in getting the answers they need. Whether the issue relates to how the amount is calculated or what to do about overdue payments, help is available to address these important issues. Apart from the enforcement options that a custodial parent may wish to pursue, those who dispute the amount owed or who can no longer afford to pay the ordered payments may benefit from formally petitioning the court for relief.

Source:, “Man Questions $48,000 Child Support Bill“, Jennifer Kraus, May 1, 2014